A Pastor's Job Discription
circa 400 A.D.
Around 400 A.D., the famous North African bishop, Augustine of Hippo, described a pastor's job:
- Disturbers are to be rebuked.
- The low-spirited are to be encouraged.
- The infirm are to be supported.
- Objectors confuted.
- The treacherous guarded against.
- The unskilled are to be taught.
- The lazy aroused.
- The contentious restrained.
- The haughty repressed.
- Litigants pacified.
- The poor relieved.
- The oppressed liberated.
- The good approved.
- The evil borne with.
- All are to be loved.